In the early 1920s, the parishoners of St. Joseph Parish raised a fund of
$10,000 for a future high school. Their goal of providing a high quality
Catholic education for the area's youth remained strong and
This fervent hope became reality in 1949 when CMH opened its doors as a parochial school for St. Joseph Parish in Waukesha. Ninety-seven freshman started attending classes in September of that year. The school was named in gratitude as a memorial to the twenty-three young men of St. Joseph's who gave their lives for their country in World War II. Later, the dedication of the school was extended to include all graduates of Catholic Memorial who have died in service to their country.
During the first ten years of its existence, enrollment at CMH grew to more than 500. In 1959 it became an Archdiocesan Catholic high school for the parishes of Waukesha County. An addition was completed for use beginning in September 1961 which included more classrooms, a cafeteria, and the first gym. Six years later, the chapel, library, and theater were added. The two projects spoke to all the needs of the developing student: spiritual, academic, physical, and social.
Phase 1 of another addition was completed in 1991. the new wing at the southwest corner of the building houses science, art, math, and foreign language facilities. In 1993, a gift from a will made by Stephen Weber more than 40 years earlier was given to the school. The gift remains the school's largest donation. Subsequently, the original 1961 gym was named to honor Stephen's mother, Julia Weber. Phase II was started in 1997 and completed in 1998. This included the new InPro Athletic Center, named after the company of a generous donor. This phase also included needed repairs on the original building, two new computer labs, and a renovated theater. During this effort, the theater's stage was named theGrasch Family Stage in gratitude for a generous gift.
Throughout its history, the school's mission of educating the whole person has remained constant and unshakable. CMH provides young people with an academically strong education, a firm Catholic foundation, and an awareness of their own self-worth and that of others.